background

Thursday, May 1, 2008

A wonderful Discovery


I spoke to my sister Alma a few days ago and she told me that her and her husband, along with my mother had been working on our family's geneology. I'm so grateful for their diligence in this because I wouldn't have a clue of what to do or where to start. Anywho, she said they ran into some deadends but with continued diligence they were able to somehow find one of my mother's great uncles on her mother's side. She had never heard of this uncle in her life and when she asked her sisters about him, they had never heard about him either. A good reason for his lost records was because my great grandmother died when my grandmother was only 5 or 6, so my mother nor her sisters ever knew about their ancestors. This alone was a miracle, but then they come to find out that someone had already done the work for this great uncle. This was a huge surprise for my mother because to her understanding, she was the only member in her family, and she had believed that, ever since she joined the church. Well, she finds out the she actually does have a family member who is a member of the church and lives in Southern California as well, the records provided a phone number and she called him. She said she was so nervous, but that she felt the spirit so strongly. They spoke and he told her that he works in the San Diego Temple, she immediately began thinking of all the patrons that work at the temple because she goes once a week. She wondered if she had seen him many times and never knew they were related. The news wasn't as impactful on her sisters as it was on her, but she was grateful for her discovery. She cried for joy, because through the power of geneology and their faith in finding family records, they were able know about him and know that the work was done for him. Because of their example, I have committed myself in helping Matthew and his family do their geneology, it truly is a special blessing.

Oh yeah, my sister also found out that we have 84 first cousins. Yikes! Talk about a family tree.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, what a small world. How crazy is that?

Sofia L said...

That is so cool!! Your mom is so cute, I miss her. I'm counting down the days until the wedding. See you in 4 weeks!

Sofia L said...

I emailed you the directions to upload pictures and place a slide show.

Katie said...

Did your mom ever meet the man that worked at the temple? What a cool story! My grandmparents are really good about doing family history. It totally intimidates me because so much of our has been done that I wouldn't have a clue where to start or what to do!

Matthew and Rosalia said...

Katie:

Yes she did, she actually invited him over for dinner and they were able to talk about family and other ancestors.