background

Sunday, May 18, 2008

What a long day

Yesterday I had a leadership training meeting and had to teach the YW leaders from our stake, I was already nervous about that, but I also found the courage to donate blood. Our stake here has a blood drive every 6 months or so, and it's always on the days we have these leadership training meetings, but I never dared myself to do it. I'm not afraid of needles, it's just the amount of blood they take that kinda freaks me out. Anyway, luckily I had the gift of tongues that day and my Spanish was pretty good so the meeting went very well. After the meeting was over, all the phlebotomists were out for lunch so we had to wait about an hour for the next round of people to go through. I had only eaten cereal for breakfast and I had to skip lunch cause I wasn't home. Luckily the relief society meeting had fruit and sweet bread so I was able to munch on that before I donated, but apparently that wasn't enough food. First of all when the nurse was finally able to get the needle in, my blood was coming out really slow, so she had to lower the bag to help the blood flow, I was doing pretty good, my bag was full and I was excited to be finished. The nurse then asked me if I was feeling ok and I said yes, she then asked if I was sure because I had lost all color in my face. I was completely pale and a friend was right next to me doing the same thing and she looked at me like I was dying or something. Then I felt it, my head started spinning and the nurse raised my legs and tilted my chair back. She said I needed to cough so the blood would go back to my head. I ended up hurting my throat cause I was coughing so much. They immediatley gave me some liquids and food so I could feel better and regain some energy. I had to lay there for about 15 minutes before I could stand. When I stood up I still felt a little shaky but I shoved as much liquid and food down my throat as I possibly could. It was so embarrassing, I also drove there by myself so my friend Denise had to call her husband so they can follow me home, just in case I started to feel dizzy again. When I got home it felt like I had just ran a race, I was so tired and weak and just crashed on my couch. I think I slept for 2 or 3 hours. I don't know if I ever want to do that again, but I hope this experience is able to save a life.

6 comments:

Sofia L said...

wow that's crazy. every time I volunteer they tell I don't have enough iron so I'm never able to do it. I am getting nervous because I have to take the pictures but I have a lot of really great ideas so hopefully they turn out. i'll see you in 1.5 weeks.

Emily said...

You poor thing. If you haven't had enough to eat, it can definitely have an effect on you. I remember giving plasma back in college to earn extra money and I could never get through it. I always got so faint and dizzy and Chris would just laugh at me.

Jeanne_2008 said...

My first time (and only time) giving blood by choice was very similar to yours! Which is why it was the only time. I've had to do it a lot while pregnant and I always get at least light headed. Also, my left arm has a better vein than my right. I've learned that after many failed attempts on the right, so now I just tell them up front so they can just start there. Hopefully now that I am done having children, the needle will come less often!

Are you guys leaving for the summer???

Jackie said...

I am glad that you didn't die! You could have died! Just kidding I just wanted to see if that got your blood pumping again. Wouldn't that de funny if the nurse would have yelled something like that to get the old ticker tocking again?

I use to donate blood a lot and I only had one nearly pass out experience. You'll have to try again just for fun. :)

Marlon and Suzana said...

My gosh poor thing what a crazy exhausting ordeal! I think the same thing would happen to me if i gave blood. Kudos to you for having the courage to do it! I'm proud of you!

Matthew and Rosalia said...

Jeanne:

We leave for two weeks for my sister's wedding, but we'll be here for June and July.