background

Monday, May 5, 2008

Old San Juan

This weekend Matthew and I spent our Saturday at Old San Juan. Once in a while artisans from all over Latin America come to Puerto Rico to show unique crafts and other hand made things from their country.

We found a kiosk from Argentina with a bunch of hand crafted instruments. Matthew was immediately drawn to it, he collects insturments from all over the world.

This is a puertorican playing some kind of puertorican drum.


Matthew and I sat on this empty water fountain while the guy serenaded us.

We thought it was kind of random and out of place but one of the kiosks was selling these cute little hand puppets. As soon as I saw this little bee I had to buy it for my niece Naomi.

After seeing all the posts, we headed up the alleys to see the shops. This is Old San Juan, I love the colorful old buildings.

As we were walking we ran into this big square area and noticed a bunch of pigeons everywhere. There must of been over 200 pigeons in that little square.

I was so bummed that I didn't have bread or food to feed the birds, but then all of a sudden this man comes up behind me and offers me food to feed the pigeons. I assumed the birds knew this because as soon as he put the food in my hands I had about five or six pigeons on me. It was so crazy.


Matthew hates birds, anything that flies really, and the same guy offered him food and he's like "na, that's ok", but the guy insisted and he tells Matthew, "let God give you an experience of nature." We laughed and Matthew finally gave it a try.

He was then gratfeul for doing it because I think it made him overcome his fear of birds, they were all over him.

And then of course we see this sign (Prohibited to feed the pigeons). LOL

5 comments:

Sofia L said...

I can't wait to go visit I wish it was this year you guys do the coolest stuff.

Emily said...

How funny that we were up there on the same day. That is so crazy about the pigeons! I can't believe how many there were. I don't know if I would have been brave enough to try feeding them.

The Rowletts said...

I've seen this pigeon purgatory you are talking about. EW!! I can't believe you did it. I so hate birds. You guys are loco!! Oh.. and that bee puppet is the cutest thing ever.

Puerto Rican Gringa said...

I am impressed as well! By the way Mylee asked when we were going to play with the "Incredible Daddy" again. I can't believe she remembers what you guys were for Halloween years ago! But she loves Mathew! I am sad we didn't get to do dinner. My hospital stint this week ruined things! Are you coming Wendy's on Sunday? I hope so! I loved the scarf!!

Katie said...

I love Old San Juan! I'm with you, the old architecture and colors of all the buildings in the allies are amazing! You're lucky you didn't get pooped on with all those birds, LOL! We move Saturday, but once I'm all settled in you and Emily will have to come over for lunch or something.