background

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Music and Dancing from PR

Every Friday in Isla Verde, right on the beach the puertorican tourist company puts on a show for visitors that depicts various dances and music from past eras in the Puertorican culture. Matthew and I both love music and I love dancing so this was something we truly appreciated. Music, dance, and food are the first things that attract me most about new cultures. The dresses and bright colors that the women were wearing were glamorous and the dancing was simple yet entertaining.
The men played and sang beautifully. One of Matthew's desires before we leave the island is to buy a cuatro, the small guitar played by the two men on the left. It is a guitar that typically has four (or five) single or paired strings, they have a beautiful sound to them, we'll have to check them out.By the end of the show, the dancers pulled people from the crowd and invited them to dance with them. Guess who they chose? LOL. This lady was eyeing Matthew from the stage and headed straight for him then snatched him right from my side. She already had her victim in mind. Matthew doesn't like dancing because he feels like he doesn't know how and was a little apprehensive, but the the lady wouldn't take no for an answer. She quickly handed me the umbrella Matthew was carrying so she could drag him away and dance with him on stage. I enjoyed every minute of seeing him dancing. I think he did pretty good.

3 comments:

brandi said...

How cute Rosalia!! I bet he did great..you are such a good sprot, egging him on I'm sure!! Can't wait to hear more about the graduations=)
Brandi

Emily said...

That looks like so much fun. We might have to check that out while we're there.

Katie said...

I never knew about that! Looks fun, I'll have to check it out some time :)