background

Saturday, June 21, 2008

"La Guagua"

My friend Denise from the Hato Rey ward has been wanting me to have a true puerorican experience and ride on the public bus or "la guagua" as they call it here. I was really hesitant because I know how many weirdos ride on public transportation. I told her I would only do it if she came along with me and she immediately said "OK!". So we planned a whole day out of it. She took the bus to get to my place and then we took it back to her house. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, at least it had AC, which I was so grateful for because the sun was blazing that day.

This was a true adventure for me because I don't even use public transportation in California.

When we got to her house she taught me how to make "arroz con salchicha" a puerto rican rice. If you know me, you'd know that I had the time of my life learning a new recipe. Cooking is my passion. She also gave me other puertorican recipes, which I'm so excited for.



We had a great time and good food, that's all I need to make me happy.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Yummy! Next time we get together bring all your recipes you got. I love rice. Way to go riding the bus. You're a brave girl.

Kassandra said...

dude, I love the metro buses here. I think it's fun.

Marlon and Suzana said...

That second one looks really good, send me the recipe!

Katie said...

I LOVE rice! Teach me! Teach me! I remember when I used to have to take the bus when I lived in Hawaii because my roommates and I didn't have cars. Good times!