background

Saturday, June 21, 2008

PONCE

This morning Matthew and I drove down to Ponce, a cute little city in the southern part of the island.

The city holds a lot of historic sites and is full of museums, which is fine because both of us love museums. I think we've been to like ten different ones since we've been here. There's a nice plaza right in the heart of the city with little shops all around and a beautiful cathedral in the center.



For lunch we ate at Cafe Thomas, a restaurant recommended by a local. It was really good and not too expensive. I had garlic shrimp with tostones.


Another thing Ponce is famous for is this firehouse built in the middle of the plaza next to the cathedral. It looks way bigger in all the magazines, but it was a good background for pictures.



It was all dandy until we got back to our car and found this on our windsheild:

The funny thing is, Ponce's slogan is "Ponce is Ponce, Everything Else is Parking". We found out that they truly take their parking seriously. This is our first ticket since we've lived in Puerto Rico, I thought we were going to leave without getting one. Oh well, I'm glad I can check Ponce off my list now for things to do on the island.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I love Ponce. That stinks that you got a parking ticket. We actually just got one a couple days ago too. Total bummer.

Sofia L said...

I hate parking tickets what a waste of money. I love the fire station it's so cool looking.

Unknown said...

we went to ponce last saturday too. how fun! I think we are going back this saturday, some local friends want to take us to some river they love. sorry about the ticket. love

The Rowletts said...

Looks like fun! I didn't even know it was possible to get a parking ticket in PR!! Where could you possibly park that there weren't 50 bzillion other cars parked there too? Seriously, I've parked on so many curbs and grassy areas, it's crazy. I thought parking in PR was pretty much, anywhere you can squeeze you car into. Sorry you had to experience that!

Katie said...

We've still never been to Ponce...it looks really nice! What a fun day you guys had!