background

Friday, January 23, 2009

Are you hiring?

Before I got back from California, I had decided that I was going to work for the rest of the time we were in Puerto Rico. Just to have something else to do in my schedule and earn a little bit of extra money. Sooo, my buddie Kristen and I went out searching for a job. We went to several hotels because we figured they'd need our English there. Two of the four told us they weren't hiring at the moment and the San Juan Hotel said to check back online or call a phone number they gave us. Finally, the Holiday Inn gave us a positive response and directed us to the "Human Resources Department" We were to walk all the way to the back of the hotel and up these stairs through yellow double doors. Before we got to the yellow doors, we already felt a little awkward because we were also by the shipping and delivery area, so there were big trucks and it smelled pretty bad. As soon as we walked in we see like 20 people lined up against a wall, and I thought wow, I guess these people are all looking for jobs, but it really looked like we walked into a prison. Well we come to find out that the hotel was actually giving job interviews on the spot. It must have been advertised on the Classificados . So Kristen and I decided to take a stab at it and do the interview after filling out an application in Spanish. She was a little concerned because she thought we were going to have a group interview and she wouldn't understand any of it. But it was individual and the interviewer spoke perfect English. The funniest thing was that because that area was also the delivery area, we had people walking back and forth with carts loaded of food and other items in an already packed hallway full of people applying for jobs. Even if we don't get the job, Kristen and I thought it was a funny experience. BTW, the interview went pretty well, the open positions were being a hostess for their restaurant, a telephone operator, or working in customer service. They said they would call back in about a month, so I'm just waiting but not really worried if I don't get the job.

Here's a picture of the top of the hallway, it was all so weird. I didn't want to take too many pictures because there was a camera by the door and I didn't want to get kicked out or ruin my chances of getting that job.LOL